Professional magazines can be useful for keeping up-to-date with the latest news and developments in your subject. However, they are not the same as journals and do not contain academic research papers.
|Good for keeping up-to-date with the latest news/developments in a subject||DO NOT contain research papers.|
|May contain articles on best practice etc.||Articles are likely to be brief & have few (if any) references to other materials at the end.|
|Are not peer-reviewed|
Finding Professional Magazines
Magazines are listed on the Library Catalogue in the same way as journals. Select the Journal Title option and type in the title of the magazine you need.
Some key magazine titles for courses in Applied Social Studies include:
- Children & Young People Now - a professional magazine for everyone working with children, young people and families. The printed version of the magazine (containing content not available on the website) is available in the Journals section at Park Square LRC and Polhill Library.
- Community Care - all the latest social work, social care and health news; with articles on practice.
- Criminal Justice Matters (CJM) - magazine produced by the Centre for Crime and Justice studies.
- Roof - magazine produced by the charity Shelter. Covers all aspect of homelessness. Features from Roof are available electronically here.
- Poverty - magazine published by the Child Poverty Action Group (CPAG). It features the latest facts, figures and news in the fight against poverty. Selected articles from each issue are available electronically here.
- Primary Teachers Magazine - free magazine from the DfES with all the latest news and articles of interest to those involved with primary age children.
- Prison Service News - free magazine which features all the latest news, views and developments from HM Prison Service. Has an archive of issues back to November 2003.
- Secondary Teachers Magazine - free magazine from the DfES with all the latest news and articles of interest to those involved with secondary age children.
- Skills for Life: Update Magazine - free magazine from the Department for Business Innovation and Skills aimed at everyone who is providing basic skills and learning opportunities and those interested in improving the literacy, language and numeracy skills of adults.
- Sociology Review - an A Level magazine covering key topics in sociology and recent research.
- YJ Magazine - free bi-monthly magazine for the Youth Justice System in England and Wales. YJ covers the work of youth offending teams, prevention programmes, sentencers, the police, policymakers, local authority staff and volunteers.
Our Tweets: @uoblibrary
Jan 24, 2022
Jan 17, 2022
Jan 17, 2022
Jan 15, 2022
Jan 15, 2022
Jan 14, 2022
Jan 13, 2022
Jan 12, 2022