Working with Diversity & Difference
Core Electronic Book
Core Printed Books
Additional Electronic Reading
- Adams, R. (2003) Social work and empowerment. 3rd edn. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Bywater, J. and Jones, R. (2007) Sexuality and social work. Exeter: Learning Matters.
- Cann, P. and Dean, M. (eds.) (2009) Unequal ageing: the untold story of exclusion in old age. Bristol: Policy.
- Crawford, K. and Walker, J. (2008) Social work with older people. 2nd edn. Exeter: Learning Matters.
- Dabydeen, D., Gilmore, J. and Jones, C. (eds.) (2007) The Oxford companion to black British history. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Dunk West, P. and Hafford Letchfield, T. (eds.) (2011) Sexual identities and sexuality in social work: research and reflections from women in the field. Farnham: Ashgate.
- Fenge, L. (2008) Social work practice with older lesbians and gay men. Exeter: Learning Matters.
- Gaine, C. (ed.) (2010) Equality and diversity in social work practice. Exeter: Learning Matters.
- Johnson, M. (ed.) (2005) The Cambridge handbook of age and ageing. Cambridge: CUP.
- Langan, M. and Day, L. (eds.) (1992) Women, oppression and social work: issues in anti-discriminatory practice. London: Routledge.
- Larkin, M. (2009) Vulnerable groups in health and social care. London: Sage.
- Maynard, M. (2008) Women in later life: exploring race and ethnicity. Maidenhead: McGraw Hill/OUP.
- Okitikpi, T. and Aymer, C. (2010) Key concepts in anti-discriminatory social work practice. London: Sage.
- Parrott, L. (2010) Values and ethics in social work practice. 2nd edn. Exeter: Learning Matters.
- Solomos, J. (2003) Race and racism in Britain. 3rd edn. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Tanner, D. and Harris, J. (2007) Working with older people. London: Routledge.
- Thane, P. (ed.) (2010) Unequal Britain: inequalities in Britain since 1945. London: Continuum.
- Thomas, D. and Woods, H. (2003) Working with people with learning disabilities: theory and practice. London: Jessica Kingsley.
- Woodward, K. (ed.) (2004) Questioning identity, class, ethnicity. 2nd edn. London: Routledge.
Additional Printed Reading
- Back, L. (1996) New ethnicities and urban culture: racisms and multiculture in young lives. London: UCL Press.
- Blakemore, K. and Boneham, M. (1994) Age, race and ethnicity: a comparative approach. Buckingham: OUP.
- Blumenfield, W.J. (ed.) (1992) Homophobia: how we all pay the price. Boston: Beacon.
- Bradley, H. (1996) Fractured identities: changing patterns of inequality. Cambridge: Polity.
- Braham, P., Rattansi, A. & Skellington, R. (1992) Racism and anti-racism: inequalities, opportunities and policies. London: Sage/OUP.
- Bremner, J. (1994) Sexuality, young people and care: creating postive contexts for training, policy and development. Lyme Regis: Russell House.
- Buckley, K. & Head, P. (2000) Myths, risks and sexuality. Lyme Regis: Russell House.
- Bytheway, W.R. (1995) Ageism. Buckingham: OUP.
- Christie, A. (ed.) (2001) Men and social work: theories and practices. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Cosis- Brown, H. (2008) Social work and sexuality: working with lesbians and gay men. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
- Cottle, S. (ed.) (2000) Cultural minorities and the media: changing cultural boundaries. Buckingham: OUP.
- Dominelli, L. (2002) Feminist social work theory and practice. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Dominelli, L. & McLeod, E. (1989) Feminist social work. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
- Dominelli, L. (1997) Anti-racist social work: a challenge for white practitioners and educators. 2nd edn. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
- Donald, J. & Rattansi, A. (1992) Race, culture and difference. London: Sage.
- Estes, C., Biggs, S. & Phillipson, C. (2003) Social theory, social policy and ageing: a critical introduction. Maidenhead: OUP.
- Ferguson, R. (1998) Representing race: ideology, identity and the media. London: Arnold.
- Fryer, P. (1984) Staying power: the history of black people in Britain. London: Pluto.
- Hanmer, J. & Statham, D. (1999) Women and social work: towards a woman centred practice. 2nd edn. Basingstoke: Macmillan.
- Hooks, B. (1996) Killing rage: ending racism. New York: Henry Holt.
- Kitzinger, C. (1987) The social construction of lesbianism. London: Sage.
- Macnicol, J. (2006) Age discrimination: an historical and contemporary analysis. Cambridge: CUP.
- Millam, R. (2002) Anti-discriminatory practice. 2nd edn. London: Continuum.
- Modood, T. (2005) Multicultural politics: racism, ethnicity and Muslims in Britain. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Morrow, D.F. and Messinger, L. (2006) Sexual orientation and gender expression in social work practice: working with gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. Chichester: Columbia University Press.
- Orme, J. (2001) Gender and community care: social work and social care perspectives. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Pilkington, A. (2003) Racial disadvantage and ethnic diversity in Britain. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Singh, G. (1992) Race and social work from black pathology to black perspective. Bradford: Race Relations Research Unit.
- Wilson, A. (1978) Finding a voice: Asian women in Britain. London: Virago.
- Community Care (2000) 'A mixed up world', Community Care [Online]. Available at: http://www.communitycare.co.uk/Articles/24/05/2000/12569/A-mixed-up-world.htm (Accessed: 20 December 2011).
- Community Care (2001) 'Desire denied', Community Care [Online]. Available at: http://www.communitycare.co.uk/Articles/20/09/2001/33189/Desire-denied.htm (Accessed: 20 December 2011).
- Community Care (2004) 'Let's talk about sex', Community Care [Online]. Available at: http://www.communitycare.co.uk/Articles/20/10/2006/44662/Lets-talk-about-sex.htm (Accessed: 20 December 2011).
- Community Care (2003) 'Out of the shadows', Community Care [Online]. Available at: http://www.communitycare.co.uk/Articles/03/04/2003/40252/Out-of-the-shadows.htm (Accessed: 20 December 2011).
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Vernon, A. and Qureshi, H. (2000) 'Community care and independence: self-sufficiency or empowerment?' Critical Social Policy, 20(2), pp. 255-76. Ebscohost [Online]. Available at: http://0-atoz.ebsco.com.brum.beds.ac.uk/Toc/Article/7771?aid=1217125&plid=1195394 (Accessed: 20 December 2011).
- Walmsley, J. and Rolph, S. (2001) 'The development of community care for people with learning difficulties 1913 to 1946', Critical Social Policy, 21(1), pp. 59-80. Ebscohost [Online]. Available at: http://0-atoz.ebsco.com.brum.beds.ac.uk/Toc/Article/7771?aid=1211635&plid=1195394 (Accessed: 20 December 2011).
Institutionalism and Early Community Care
- Bornat, J., Johnson, J., Pereira, C., Pilgrim, D. & Williams, F. (eds.) (1997) Community care: a reader. 2nd edn. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Borsay, A. (2005) Disability and social policy in Britain since 1750: a history of exclusion. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Humphries, S. & Gordon, P. (1992) Out of sight: the experience of disability 1900-1950. Plymouth: Northcote House.
- Means, R., Richards, S. & Smith, R. (2008) Community care: policy and practice. 4th edn. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Ryan, J. & Thomas, F. (1987) The politics of mental handicap. Rev. edn. London: Free Association.
Disability Politics & Care Policy
- Abberley, P. (2004) 'Chapter 36: A critique of professional support and intervention', in Swain, J., French, S. and Thomas, C. (eds.) Disabling barriers: enabling environments. 2nd edn. London: Sage, pp. 239-244.
- Barnes, C. and Mercer, G. (2006) Independent futures: creating user-led disability services in a disabling society. Bristol: Policy.
- Beckett, A.E. (2006) Citizenship and vulnerability: disability and issues of social and political engagement. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
- Hasler, F. (2004) 'Chapter 34: Disability, care and controlling services', in Swain, J., French, S. and Thomas, C. (eds.) Disabling barriers: enabling environments. 2nd edn. London: Sage, pp. 226-232.
- Mercer, G. (2004) 'Chapter 26: User-led organisations: facilitating independent living', in Swain, J., French, S. and Thomas, C. (eds.) Disabling barriers: enabling environments. 2nd edn. London: Sage, pp. 176-182.
- Priestley, M. (2004) 'Chapter 39: Tragedy strikes again! Why community care still poses a problem for integrated living', in Swain, J., French, S. and Thomas, C. (eds.). Disabling barriers: enabling environments. 2nd edn. London: Sage, pp. 258-263.
- Barnes, C., Oliver, M. and Bartton, L. (eds.) (2002) Disability studies today. Cambridge: Polity.
- Barton, L. (ed.) (2001) Disability, politics and the struggle for change. London: Fulton.
- Johnstone, D. (ed.) (2001) An introduction to disability studies. 2nd edn. London: Fulton.
- Oliver, M. & Barnes, C. (1998) Disabled people and social policy: from exclusion to inclusion. London: Longman.
- Priestley, M. (1998) Disability politics and community care. London: Jessica Kingsley.
- Rummery, K. (2002) Disability, citizenship and community care: a case for welfare rights? Aldershot: Ashgate.
Our Tweets: @uoblibrary
We are having a problem today with the DISCOVER search box on our main web page. DISCOVER itself is up and running,… https://t.co/3B6uBTJl1j
May 11, 2022
Need some head space? Find the right place in your library. pic.twitter.com/opIV2zs6tL
May 10, 2022
May 05, 2022
These were last month's most popular searches on DISCOVER pic.twitter.com/6VXRA2v62u
May 03, 2022
May 03, 2022
May 03, 2022
Problems logging in to email, MyBedsLife and library resources Tuesday 3rd May - see our blog post for alternative… https://t.co/gAIPjATzks
May 03, 2022
May 03, 2022