Forensic Mental Health
Background Electronic Books:
- Adler, J. R. (ed.) (2004) Forensic psychology: concepts, debates and practice. Cullompton: Willan.
- Alison, L. (ed.) (2005) The forensic psychologist's casebook: psychological profiling and criminal investigation. Cullompton: Willan.
- Crighton, D. and Towl, G. (eds.) (2005) Psychology in probation services. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Crighton, D. and Towl, G. (eds.) (2008) Psychology in prisons. 2nd ed. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Gadd, D. and Jefferson, T. (2007) Psychosocial criminology. London: Sage.
- Goldstein, A. M. (ed.) (2007) Forensic psychology: emerging topics and expanding roles. Hoboken, N.J.: Wiley.
- Hollin, C. R. (ed.) (2004) The essential handbook of offender assessment and treatment. Chichester: Wiley.
- Howitt, D. (2009) Introduction to forensic and criminal psychology. Harlow: Pearson.
- Kapardis, A. (2003) Psychology and the law: a critical introduction. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Needs, A. and Towl, G. (eds.) (2004) Applying psychology to forensic practice. Oxford: British Psychological Society/Oxford University Press.
- O'Donohue, W. T. and Levensky, E. R. (eds.) (2004) Handbook of forensic psychology: a resource for mental health and legal professionals. Amsterdam: Academic Press.
- Peay, J. (2002) ‘Mentally disordered offenders, mental health, and crime’, in Maguire, M., Morgan, R., and Reiner, R. (eds.). The Oxford handbook of criminology. 3rd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Seddon, T. (2007) Punishment and madness: governing prisoners with mental health problems. Abingdon: Routledge-Cavendish.
- Shuker, R. and Sullivan, E. (eds.) (2010) Grendon and the emergence of forensic therapeutic communities: developments in research and practice. Chichester: Wiley.
- Towl, G. et. al. (eds.) (2008) Dictionary of forensic psychology. Cullompton: Willan.
- Webb, D. and Harris, R. (1999). Mentally disordered offenders: managing people nobody owns. London : Routledge.
- Applied Psychology in Criminal Justice
- British Journal of Sociology
- Prison service Journal
- The Australian & New Zealand Journal of Criminology
- American Sociological Review
- British Journal of Criminology
- British Journal of Community Justice
- Journal of Forensic Nursing
- Psychology, Crime and Law
- Journal of Interpersonal Violence
- Criminal Behaviour and Mental Health
- Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing
- British Journal of Forensic Practice
- British Journal of Psychology
- Mental Health Practice
- Criminal Justice and Behaviour
- International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology
- Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioural Assessment
- Legal and Criminological Psychology
Databases enable you to find relevant peer-reviewed journal articles and other scholarly material.
Ebscohost Research Databases
You can search Ebscohost databases individually or several together. Be sure to tick the box for 'full text' if you want to find only full text articles. The following Ebscohost databases will be especially useful for this module:
- Academic Search Elite
- British Nursing Index
International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (IBSS)
A large database which covers all aspects of criminology and mental health. It has links to the full text of articles where the University has a subscription.
Collection of full text, peer-reviewed journal articles – all published by Sage. It includes many articles on forensic mental health.
Social Care Online
Free database maintained by the Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE). It provides access to a wealth of resources covering all aspects of social care including criminal justice policy and mental health and allows you to limit your search to full text.
- Good Medical Practice in the Care of Potentially Violent Patients in the Community - one in a series of College reports made available by the Royal College of Psychiatrists (RCPsych). Published in 2000, the report covers the legal framework and guidance on risk assessment and management.
- Improving Mental Health Law: Towards a New Mental Health Act - published by the Department of Health, this document provides an overview of the draft Mental Health Bill 2004 and explains why reform of the 1983 Mental Health Act was required.
- Prison Psychiatry: Adult Prisons in England & Wales - one in a series of College reports made available by the Royal College of Psychiatrists (RCPsych). Published in 2007, it covers the role of the consultant psychiatrist in prisons; mental health services, addiction services, learning disability services, female prisoners; old age psychiatry, rehabilitation psychiatry, psychotherapy services and training.
- Revolving Doors Agency - a UK based charity concerned with mental health and the criminal justice system. The site contains information about the charity's work, as well as access to a range of online reports.
- Sainsbury Centre for Mental Health - centre which aims to develop effective ways of delivering mental health services. It works to improve the quality of life of people with mental health problems by influencing policy and practice. The website includes a section on criminal justice.
Our Tweets: @uoblibrary
Jan 24, 2022
Jan 17, 2022
Jan 17, 2022
Jan 15, 2022
Jan 15, 2022
Jan 14, 2022
Jan 13, 2022
Jan 12, 2022