We welcome visitors to University of Bedfordshire libraries. Our service priorities are to University of Bedfordshire students but several arrangements are available to people outside the University of Bedfordshire.
New Applicants and Renewals
SERVICE NOTICE: We are receiving a large number of applications which is delaying our usual processing time. Once we have received the correct information, please allow up to 10 days for your application to be processed.
Unfortunately, it is not always possible to give status reports on application progress by phone or email. Please check staffed hours before contacting or visiting one of our libraries.
At peak periods we will suspend processing new applications; these include Christmas, Easter, Bank Holidays and around main University exam times.
Before you apply
- A passport style photograph and proof of current postal address will be required to support all applications
- If you are applying for SCONUL Access, please have a copy of your SCONUL Access authorisation email
- If you are claiming a fee waiver or a concessionary rate evidence of eligibility will be required
- Please familiarise yourself with the Customer behaviour and standards before applying
- External Customer status does not allow access to any other parts of the University or to the University's computer network
If there is a problem with the online form, please email SIAPS@beds.ac.uk - please put Visitor Application in the subject bar.
Payment is only accepted by credit or debit card, in person or over the phone (01582 743168).
As a University of Bedfordshire Learning Resources and Service Excellence external customer you have the privilege of access to the building and services of Learning Resources as defined by your category of membership.
You may use your own portable device eg laptop/tablet/mobile phone. You may not use group study rooms, student PCs or Macs. You will not be able to print or scan documents.
Visitor membership offer, including Sconul Access, is for Bedford and Luton Campus libraries only. Visitor membership is not available at Aylesbury or Milton Keynes campuses.
Bedford Campus Library Q Block only - you may not go into any other University building
Luton Campus Library L Block only
- Access from ground floor Vicarage Street ONLY
- You may not use the IT Suite (F Block)
- You may not go into any other University building
If you are found in any other building on either Campus you will be removed from Campus and the Head of Library Services will be notified and your membership may be suspended.
- All access (except Single Access) is subject to completion of application form and processing of access id card – a passport style photo is also required
- Walk-in digital resource access is available to approved external visitors either through use of Eduroam from a home institution or via the University's Guest Wifi service
- Members of the general public have no automatic right of access to University facilities and the University reserves the right to refuse any or all applications
- Membership of the University's Library, Learning Resources and Information is dependent upon compliance with the Learning Resources Customer behaviour and standards
- External Membership of Library, Learning Resources and Information is for Library use only. It does not allow access to any other University buildings or services
- A small number of digital resources are available on a Walk-in (on campus) basis; there is no access to digital materials remotely
- Alumni must be in good standing with the university to take advantage of the fee waiver or discount
- Charges are subject to review and alteration at the discretion of the University
- Please note, where membership allows borrowing ﬁnes are charged on late return of borrowed items
- Lost/damaged cards - there is a replacement fee of £13 and a new photo must be provided
- Cancellation of membership - there is no refund of membership fees
Library Collections are primarily for the use of students and staff of the University of Bedfordshire. Library, Learning Resources and Information does not undertake to ensure the availability of any item or information source.