Important notice: Please note that due to the University's libraries operating at reduced capacity, no external customers are allowed into the library until further notice.
We normally welcome visitors to Learning Resources and Service Excellence. Our service priorities are to University of Bedfordshire students during the pandemic. The arrangements available to visitors are suspended until further notice.
New Applicants and Renewals
SERVICE NOTICE: Due to the current exceptional circumstances a part of the University of Bedfordshire’s phased return to campus includes a prohibition on Visitors for the foreseeable future. This includes the library. Please check our website for updates. We have ceased to accept or process membership applications or renewals for external membership. Please monitor this page to see when this will be lifted.
The following information is suspended until further notice.
Please note that due to volume of demand processing may take up to 15 working days. Please be patient. Visitor enquiries will only be dealt with in person at ground floor Customer Service desk/reception 10.00 - 14.00 weekdays. We do not give status reports on application progress by phone or email. Please check staffed hours before visiting one of our libraries. No membership card means no access.
At peak periods we will suspend processing new applications; these include Christmas, Easter, Bank Holidays and around main University exam times.
Open Application Form - PDF (an Adobe Acrobat form).
- Proof of current postal address will be required to support all applications.
- If you are claiming a fee waiver or a concessionary rate evidence of eligibility will be required.
- Please familiarise yourself with the Code of Practice before applying.
- External Customer status does not allow access to any other parts of the University or to the University's computer network.
Print off and complete the form and send it with a passport style photo to:
Head of Reader Services
University of Bedfordshire
Scans of the application form, photo and (where applicable) Sconul Access authorisation email may be emailed to
please put Visitor Application in the subject bar
Payment is accepted by credit or debit card, in person or over the phone (01582 743168) or by cash in person.
Conditions of membership
As a University of Bedfordshire Learning Resources and Service Excellence external customer you have the privilege of access to the building and services of Learning Resources as defined by your category of membership.
You may use your own portable device eg laptop/tablet/mobile phone. You may not use student PCs or Macs. You will not be able to print or scan documents.
Bedford Campus Library Q Block only - you may not go into any other University building
Luton Campus Library L Block only
- Access from ground floor Vicarage Street ONLY
- You may not use the IT Suite (F Block)
- You may not go into any other University building
If you are found in any other building on either Campus you will be removed from Campus and the Head of Reader Services will be notified and your membership may be suspended.
- All access (except Single Access) is subject to completion of application form and processing of access id card – a passport style photo is also required
- Walk-in digital resource access is available to approved external visitors either through use of Eduroam from a home institution or via the University's Guest Wifi service
- Members of the general public have no automatic right of access to University facilities and the University reserves the right to refuse any or all applications
- Membership of the University Learning Resources and Service Excellence is dependent upon compliance with the Learning Resources Code of Conduct [PDF]
- External Membership of Learning Resources and Service Excellence is for Library use only. It does not allow access to any other University buildings or services
- A small number of digital resources are available on a Walk-in (on campus) basis; there is no access to digital materials remotely
- Alumni must be in good standing with the university to take advantage of the fee waiver or discount
- Charges are subject to review and alteration at the discretion of the University
- Please note, where membership allows borrowing ﬁnes are charged on late return of borrowed items
- Lost/damaged cards - there is a replacement fee of £10 and a new photo must be provided
- Cancellation of membership - there is no refund of membership fees
Library Collections are primarily for the use of students and staff of the University of Bedfordshire. Learning Resources and Service Excellence does not undertake to ensure the availability of any item or information source.
Our Tweets: @uoblibrary
Sep 24, 2021
Sep 22, 2021
Sep 20, 2021
Sep 17, 2021
Sep 17, 2021
Sep 17, 2021
Sep 02, 2021
Sep 02, 2021
Sep 02, 2021