Code of Conduct
To protect the University community and our visitors Learning Resources and Service Excellence have a Code of Conduct that everyone agrees to adhere to when they join the University or become a library member.
The library aims to provide you with an environment conducive to learning. This can only be delivered in partnership with you our customers. Please help us achieve this by complying with our common sense Code of Conduct
This is the full Library Code of Conduct [DOCX]
A brief summary of the Code of Conduct follows:
- You can consume cold food, cold drinks and lidded hot drinks in the library. Hot food is not allowed on library floors
- To maintain a pleasant study environment please tidy up after you finish working, please put all rubbish in the bins provided
- A valid University of Bedfordshire ID card or library membership card, is required to gain entry to the library at all times. All customers are expected to produce this on request.
- The University accepts no responsibility for personal possessions brought into the library/LRC
- All library customers should read and follow the fire and safety regulations displayed in the library/LRC
- Customers are responsible for each item issued to them until they return it to the library
- It is the customer’s responsibility to return items on or before the date due for return.
Fines are charged for late returns
- Standard Loans 50p
- 7 Day Loans 75p
- Overnight Loans £1
- All library customers must comply with the law of copyright in their use of any resources they borrow or refer to in the library/LRC or remotely, and with the terms of any licences the University may hold for library material.
- Customers will be required to indemnify the University and its staff against any claims made against them because of breaking or causing others to to break the above agreement
- If faults occur when using equipment customers should not attempt their own repairs. Please inform library staff immediately
- Do not sleep in the library for your own safety and the convenience of others
- Children under the age of 18 are not allowed into the library/LRC except as an organised tour or school membership
- Abusive behaviour of any kind towards Learning Resources and Service Excellence staff, security or other customers will not be tolerated. Action will be taken toward anyone who does not behave appropriately in the Library.
- Lost Property Any lost property found by Learning Resource staff or handed in to staff will be held securely by the local team for 24 hours (or over the weekend which ever is applicable). Unclaimed items of value (Wallets, phones, cards, id cards or USBs) are sent to main reception. Every effort will be made by staff to identify the person who owns the lost property and inform them that the property has been handed in and is awaiting collection. If items are not claimed they are usually taken to local charity shops.
Most breaches of the Code of Conduct are dealt with by a written warning and temporary library account ban under the 3 strikes sanctions.
1st: The first strike is a one week library account block. A library account ban means no access to the digital library, no loans, renewals or reservations. A record of this will stay on your account for the duration of your course. If a Visitor (a Visitor/External Customer is anyone whose membership number starts with a lower case "a") gets a 1st strike their access to the library will be blocked for a week
2nd: The second strike is a two week library account block. A record of this will stay on your account for the duration of your course. If a Visitor/External gets a 2nd strike their access to the library will be blocked for 2 weeks
3rd: The third strike is a three week library account block. A record of this will stay on your account for the duration of your course. If a Visitor/External Customer gets a 3rd strike their access to the library will be blocked for 3 weeks and they will not be considered for future membership
If a further Written Warning is issued then the person will be referred to Adjudication or, if a Visitor/External Customer, they will have their membership immediately suspended with no future membership.
Our Tweets: @uoblibrary
Mar 05, 2021
Mar 04, 2021
Mar 03, 2021
Mar 02, 2021
Mar 02, 2021
Mar 01, 2021
Mar 01, 2021
Feb 26, 2021
Feb 22, 2021